I’ve been meaning to do another Rookie Chef post for a while now but I’m a lazy blogger so that’s a problem. However, I can assure you that I haven’t stopped cooking, experimenting and drooling over recipes. (Thanks, Pinterest!)
Flash back to a couple of weeks ago and one evening when everyone was in no mood to cook, I decided to put my own twist on the breakfast bun/cup.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
– 2 hamburger buns
– 5 eggs
– 1 cup of grated cheese
– Salt, pepper
– Olive oil
– Chutney (optional)
– 4 ramekins
1. Preheat oven at 180 deg C.
2. Cut hamburger buns in half and butter the insides.
3. Grease the ramekins with a little olive oil. Make sure to grease the sides too or else these suckers will stick.
4. Press the non-buttered side of the roll into ramekin and get your fingers dirty by flattening the roll against the sides. You basically end up with a little bun bowl. (Trademark pending *wink*)
5. Mix your eggs, grated cheese, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. You can add a dash of milk if you like.
6. Fry up your bacon, chop it into small pieces and stick it one side.
7. Scoop the eggy mixture into your bun bowls until they’re about 3/4 full.
8. Put the ramekins in an ovenproof dish (so that they’re easy to take out all at once) and stick them on the middle shelf of the oven.
9. Keep an eye on them. After about 10-15 minutes, take the ramekins out of the oven. The egg will still be runny but just starting to cook. Throw in your bacon bits now. I added a little more grated cheese over the top at this point too.
10. Stick the ramekins back in the oven and wait another 5 minutes or so. The egg will start to rise a little like fluffy scrambled egg.
11. Once they’re done, make sure they’re cooked through, scoop them out (I used a tablespoon to do this) and pop them on a plate. Add a couple drops of chutney if you like and eat ’em!
My family couldn’t get enough of these and I’m super stoked to experiment with different fillings and mixtures. Easy, cheap and so delicious!